Monday, May 19, 2014

Are You Up For A Challenge?

When it comes to this life and all that goes with it we all have areas where we struggle.   Some areas seem big and others seem small but yesterday in church our Pastor really hit the nail on the head when he talked about how much do we really love Christ?  We have spent the past 3 weeks studying 1 Corinthians 8.  In this chapter Paul is talking to the Christians because they are arguing over whether it is OK to eat meat from a sacrifice or not OK to eat the meat.  I will tell you that when our Pastor first read the chapter I was thinking what in the world is he going to pull out of this passage that applies to me?  Have you ever thought that in church?  Now you know I have.

In the past two weeks the Lord has shown me some areas where I need to be more sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit.  There are areas in my life where I am weak and if I am not on guard these things can affect my walk with the Lord.  On the other hand there are areas where I am strong but I may have a friend who is weak.  Am I willing to give up my freedom and ability to choose around that person so that they won't be tempted or stumble?  You may immediately think, well of course I would that is easy.  Is it?

For example.  Right now Craig and I have set some very tight financial goals for our family.  We both truly believe this choice is driven by the Lord and we are being called to obedience.  This means that we are not really spending much money on fun things in life right now.  Spending money is a weakness for me.  I love to shop!  I love new shoes and I love just going out with my girl friends to hang out, eat, shop, etc.  However, right now that is just not in the budget.  At first when we really decided to do this I did not say much to my friends and discovered I was setting myself up for failure.  I was still getting invites for lunch with the girls, going out to the movies, or taking our kids somewhere fun that cost money.  I kept failing in our goals over and over.  It was so frustrating!  Then I realized that I could not participate in these things right now unless we deliberately planned the money and set it aside.  So I began sharing our goals with friends, I spend less time on Facebook because I struggle when people are sharing all the fun places they are going that we just can't go.  I discovered last week that when it comes to keeping the discipline the Lord has called us to I need to realized that I am weak.

However, there are other areas where I am not weak but I have friends who are.  This week the question was asked am I willing to give up something I want because someone around me struggles with it.  Do I love Christ and his ministry to others more than I love my freedom to choose?  Am I willing to put the needs of others above my personal desires, truly?

Over the past few weeks the Lord has really shown me that He had so much to teach me out of 1 Corinthians 8.  If you are interested this has been such a great series and you can listen to them or download them off the church website just click here.  I am learning each day that this journey we call life is not an easy one, however, the further off the beaten path my family gets, the quieter our life gets and the easier it is for me to listen.  Are you listening?  Are you taking time to allow the Lord to show you areas in your life where you bring glory to Christ and other areas where you don't?  My challenge to you is to slow down, find a time to be quiet and allow the Lord to really teach and steer you in such a way that you can bring glory to the gospel of Christ in all you do and all those you come in contact with.  Are you up for a challenge?U

No comments:

Post a Comment