Monday, December 1, 2014

Looking at the big picture

I love Advent and I have great memories growing up with my family celebrating Advent each Sunday night at home after church.  I have decided to do Advent a little different with my girls, especially since we are homeschooling.  With them I am using a program call "The Truth in the Tinsel"  I am really excited for our family to spend our second year in this program.  Then I realized that my church Sunday school material is set right on time with Christmas so my prep and study for that goes right along with our homeschool material.  Then I came across a free Advent study by Margaret Feinberg called "Spark Your Joy".  As I read through day 1 I realized that three different things are all crashing together as I enter this holiday season.

I told my kids yesterday in Sunday school that as we approach Christmas I don't want us to get so caught up in the birth of Christ that we stop there.  You see his birth is only the opening scene in a much bigger and greater story.  You see this is where God begins to set in motion a plan to fix our world that is broken with sin through is son.  As I have thought about this I continue to ask the Lord to help me take my focus so much further than just the birth of Christ.  You see in this story we will see and experience how the power and glory of God crashed into the lives and humanity of numerous people.  They all react differently but in the end we are all able to see a little bit of ourselves and the reality that God may be seeking to use us in a mighty way just as He chose to use them.

Join me over the next month as I look at some of the people in this story and how we can see their humanity, their faith, their raw emotions and most of all their impact for God on the world around them.  See you soon as we open up this adventure to see what God has for each of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment