Monday, March 23, 2015

Are you willing to ask?

As we walk through our lives each day do we have a hyper awareness of the urgency of the gospel?  Are we truly seeking for the Holy Spirit to baptize us with a boldness that only He can give? 

At the beginning of Acts we see the apostles  listening to Jesus as he is trying to pass on his final words before he leaves to go be with his father in heaven.  All through the book of Acts we see the word Lord used and each time it is referring to Jesus.  As I learned this I realized that knowing this changed my perception of the stories I have read in Acts, it changed how I looked at Jesus' interaction with the world all throughout the New Testament.   My Pastor talked about how we can see Christ continuing his ministry from heaven through the work of the Holy Spirit.

What really struck my heart the most was when we were asked the question of if the Holy Spirit will baptize a person with boldness for the gospel…and He is still at work in the world today…am I seeking this boldness?  Do I truly desire for the Holy Spirit to change me, move and motivate me to step out of my comfort zone and really begin to strive to make a difference in the world for the gospel. 

So many times as Christians we get comfortable in our lives and routine.  We interact with people each day, go to church on Wednesday nights and Sundays.  We may even spend daily time in the Bible learning and striving to grow closer to the Lord.  However, if we are not willing to be used to be a witness for Jesus then what in the world are we doing?  Our purpose is to bring glory and honor to the Lord in all we do. 

I was talking to a couple friends the other day about how in the south it is easy for us to lose our sense of urgency for the gospel.  When the majority of people I know are Christians, when the majority of my children's friends are Christian's it can make life seem like a country club.  It is so easy to just "do church" and not truly push ourselves to step out of our comfort zones to truly be used by the Spirit in the world around us.

One of the things I shared with my friends is that when I lived in Salt Lake City, Utah it was easier to keep my sense of urgency because the majority of people I knew were not Christians.  They were lost and dying and did not know it.  I was forced to not just know what I believed but why and be able to share it with others.  So many religions sound like Christianity but they are not, and if we are not able to truly talk about what we believe and why only through the saving grace of Jesus can salvation be found, we are not a useful tool in furthering the kingdom. 

I don't want to be comfortable, I don't want my girls to be comfortable, I want my family to be ready, willing and able to truly seek out opportunities to show and share the love of Jesus.  I want to have my heart in a place I am willing to seek for the Holy Spirit to truly baptize me with boldness. 

So my question for you is what do you want?  How do you want to live your life?    John 3:16 tells us that God loved the people of this world so much He sent his only son to die on a cross for our sins.  This is a gift that no one deserves or could ever earn yet it is there for everyone.  For more information on salvation if you are seeking please check out this website http://billygraham.org/story/have-you-heard-the-good-news-of-salvation/ .  This site is a wonderful place for information and assistance for it is my desire along with the Lord's that none shall perish.


If you are a Christian then my question for you is are you willing to step out of your comfort zone, step into the fray to really begin to make a difference for the kingdom?  This is a journey and experience that you don't want to miss out on and the Holy Spirit is waiting and ready to equip you for all that the Lord has in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment