Sunday, August 3, 2014

Are you willing to pray this prayer??

One of my favorite things about Facebook are the quotes and sayings that people will post.  Some are funny, come are encouraging and some will cause you to pause and think.  When I was on Facebook I was scrolling through my news feed and read a statement a good friend posted.

Spirit, lead me where my trust is without borders.

As I read that statement it immediately caught my attention.  I will admit I am a total control freak and truly releasing trust is something I work on daily.  As I read this over and over I could hear the Lord ask me..."Are you willing to truly pray this?"  

So many times we tell the Lord we trust Him and that he is in total control, yet we are always trying to help, find a solution or worry ourselves to a frazzle.  Our human nature causes us to be naturally selfish instead of being able to truly let go and trust the Lord in all we say and do.  This morning I had the privilege of listening to my father preach and that is a rare treat for me.  In his sermon this morning he was talking about the church and how we can live each day in a godly manner.  In the process of listening and I wrote down in my notes, "Am I willing to truly submit to God no matter the circumstances and trust him for the outcome?"    

I know that the Lord is really been pushing me lately to change my perspective on trust and realize that I need to truly seek the Lord to lead me  where my trust has no borders.  There are not conditions, I am not including my own personal safety net.  How many times has the Lord encouraged me to pray for a stranger or approach someone and I was too scared about what they might think or do.  As Christians it is easy for us to live our lives and ministry in the safety of our "boxes", when the Lord is calling us to step out of where are are comfortable and allow him to do something great.

Below are the lyrics to one of my favorite songs by Twila Paris.  It is called, "Do I Trust You Lord?"  This song really sums up times in my life where the Lord was asking me to trust him without strings or borders.  To step not only up to the cliff but step off trusting that he is there to hold us up.  You see no matter what is happening around us whether good or bad, the Lord is still in control.  In moments of disaster or extreme sadness where you are not sure you can function, we need to remember that the Lord is in control.

Several years ago my husband and I tried to move to South Carolina and we truly thought it was all coming together.  I had a 3rd interview and we felt sure I would receive a job offer.  When I did not get the job and suddenly all the plans began to fall apart I got so mad at God.  I thought he failed me and I spent two weeks telling him how mad I really was.  I would listen to this song below and just cry because I did not understand.  I desperately wanted to trust him, yet I could not see beyond myself.

Sometimes my little heart can't understand
What's in Your will, what's in Your plan
So many times I'm tempted to ask You why

But I can never forget it for long
Lord, what You do could not be wrong
So I believe You even when I must cry

Do I trust You, Lord? Does the river flow?
Do I trust You, Lord? Does the north wind blow?
You can see my heart, You can read my mind
And You've got to know, I would rather die
Than to lose my faith in the One I love
Do I trust You, Lord? Do I trust You?

I know the answers, I've given them all
But suddenly now, I feel so small
Shaken down to the cavity in my soul

I know the doctrine and theology
But right now they don't mean much to me
This time there's only one thing I've got to know

Do I trust You, Lord? Does the robin sing?
Do I trust You, Lord? Does it rain in spring?
You can see my heart, You can read my mind
And You got to know I would rather die
Than to lose my faith in the One I love
Do I trust You, Lord? Do I trust You?

I will trust You, Lord, when I don't know why
I will trust You, Lord, till the day I die
I will trust You, Lord, when I'm blind with pain
You were God before and You'll never change

I will trust You, I will trust You
I will trust You, Lord
I will trust You, I will trust You
I will trust You, Lord

I will trust You, I will trust You

I will trust You, Lord

Now I can look back and see how the hand of God was on our family, protecting us and preparing us for a new chapter in our lives.  It was after that point that the Lord opened the door for us to change churches, begin homeschooling and he has brought people into my live who I did not realize I needed in my life.  So my challenge to you is are you willing to pray this prayer?


          Spirit, lead me where my trust is without borders.

No comments:

Post a Comment