Wednesday, April 30, 2014

An Unexpected Moment

One of my favorite things about homeschooling is our ability to function in a non-traditional manner.  Monday morning we woke up to a very rainy day.  The girls both commented on how yucky it was outside and how they wanted to stay in their jammies and make it a lazy inside day.  Well, I decided to have them dress anyway because they are more attentive when they are dressed for the day and then we had our morning Bible study time.

For our Jesus time as we call it I set 3 camp chairs out on our front porch and the girls and I went outside to sit.  I had them spend a few minutes watching the rain, looking around and I wanted them to tell me where they saw God.  Caitlyn looked at me and said that she saw God in the trees.  Kathryn said she saw God in the grass and flowers.  I sat there seeking the Lord not really knowing where this lesson was going and then it hit me.  We began to talk about how grass, flowers and trees all have roots where they are fed.  We then talked about how they all get food through these roots.  In application I began to talk to the girls about how our roots in God are built on our belief in Jesus and that he came to die for our sins and save us.  I loved the look on Kathryn's face when she said, "that is my roots?"

 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, 
you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 
If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; 
such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 
 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, 
and it will be done for you.  This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, 
showing yourselves to be my disciples."
John 15:5-8

As I was talking to the girls we began talking about how each time we read the Bible, sing praise and worship, go to church and learn about God it is his way of feeding our roots just like the trees and plants get their food.  Then we talked about how the more we learn about God the stronger our roots get and the bigger our relationship with God grows that it blesses other people through our fruit.

During this whole lesson and after our time of prayer I was so blessed to realized how blessed I am to have the opportunity to spend moments like this with my girls.  I want them to grow up seeing God all around them and knowing he is always there seeking to grow and bless them.  Most of all I came away from that lesson more fed and blessed than I have been in days.  I think my favorite thing about homeschooling is all our unexpected moments.  No matter whether you homeschool, do private school or do public school I encourage you to seek out those unexpected moments where you have the opportunity to pour into your children not only the love of Jesus but the ability to see our Lord in all that is around us and in all that we say and do.  It will be those moments that end up blessing you the most.


No comments:

Post a Comment