Monday, May 4, 2015

Choosing to not be a chicken

I don't know about you but when it comes to personal Bible study, I tend to like something structured where I have tools to guide me.  However, over the past few years I have really begun to desire the ability to just open up the Bible and study a book.  No study guide asking me questions, telling me where to focus and giving me direction.  So last week I stumbled across one an online ladies study group that I have participated in and enjoyed.  However, they have changed their structure in the past year and I did not realize it.  I really like Good Morning Girls because it comes out of a ministry called Women Living Well, and it's goal is to help equip, encourage and empower women to really grow in our walk with the Lord.  So I decided to jump in on their new study.  I had no idea what God had in store.

In this study we are currently working our way through Leviticus.  Yes you read that right Leviticus!  Out of all the books of the Bible I would choose as a go to for study this is not one of them, but when I considered not doing it I could hear God saying in my head...what is wrong, are you chicken?  I know the Lord has been calling me to dive into a study of just scripture but Leviticus was not what I thought would be my initial choice.

So here I am in week 2!  Last week I was getting my feet and this morning I love how as I went through the passage the Lord really began to speak to my heart and I knew exactly where He wanted me to focus.  "And the fire on the altar shall be kept burning on it; it shall not be put out...A fire shall always be burning on the altar; it shall never go out."  Leviticus 6:12a and 13.  As I read this passage I could see my walk with the Lord as the fire.  As a Christian I need to work to feed and care for the spiritual fire in my life.  This will allow sin that is in my life to be identified and consumed through the Lord's forgiveness.  It also is the light that shines out of my life reflecting Jesus to those in my life, whether it is my girls, friends or people I meet at the store.

Just like the Israelites had to make regular sacrifices to the Lord , I realized I want my study time to be a time where I allow the Lord to challenge, grow, encourage and cleanse me.  I want my passion and fire for Jesus to grow to a point where people can't walk away without seeing Jesus in what I say and do.  I want to be at a point where I am not letting other people show me where to study but I am allowing the Lord to speak and guide my study time.  I am a believer in both but I realize that I have become too dependent on one and need to allow the Lord to stretch and push me.

Are you asking the Lord to stretch and push you?  Are you willing to step out of what you are comfortable with in your Bible study time and willing to try something new.  I am discovering it is an exciting way to discover new areas of your life the Lord wants to grow and develop.  Don't be a chicken, but instead trust the Spirit to do His work because the Lord is just waiting for us to not only ask but step out in faith trusting that He WILL respond when we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment